Home General News Accra-Kumasi expressway: only 20km of clearing left-Agbodza

Accra-Kumasi expressway: only 20km of clearing left-Agbodza

7
0
The Accra-Kumasi Expressway project has moved closer to Kumasi, with less than 20 kilometres of clearing work remaining

The Accra-Kumasi Expressway project has moved closer to Kumasi, with less than 20 kilometres of clearing work remaining before the route reaches the Kumasi Orbiter, also known as the Kumasi Ring Road.

Roads and Highways Minister Governs Kwame Agbodza disclosed this on Friday, August 21, 2026, as he provided an update on progress along the major transport corridor.

According to the Minister, the remaining stretch represents a relatively short section of the project and is located near the point where the expressway will connect with the Kumasi Orbiter.

Expressway nearing Kumasi connection

Mr Agbodza said the progress made on the clearing exercise represents an important step towards advancing the project and improving connectivity between Ghana’s two major cities.

The Accra-Kumasi Expressway is expected to provide a more efficient road link between Accra and Kumasi, while improving the movement of people and goods and supporting economic activity along the corridor.

The Minister also acknowledged the contribution of the Ghana Armed Forces to the clearing exercise, expressing appreciation for their support in advancing the project.

Contractor returns to Sewua road project

Mr Agbodza also provided an update on road works around the Sewua area, which he said had received renewed attention following concerns about access to the Sewua Hospital.

He acknowledged the guidance of the Asantehene, Otumfuo Osei Tutu II, particularly regarding road infrastructure within the Kumasi enclave.

According to the Minister, the Asantehene had previously highlighted the importance of completing roads around the area to support the operationalisation of the Sewua Hospital, which is expected to serve as a regional referral facility for Kumasi.

Mr Agbodza said contractor Kofi Job had since returned to site and was making good progress.

“Since then, the contractor, Kofi Job, has returned to site and is doing very well,” he said.

Work progressing in sections

The Minister explained that the contractor was close to completing one section of the road before moving to the opposite side.

He said the contractor was expected to continue with the remaining section and complete the works.

“As we are told, he’s almost done with one leg of the work and then the one that is to the right-hand side is where he’ll be working on. But we can assure you that he’s going to go ahead and complete the work,” Mr Agbodza said.

The government’s focus on the road network around Sewua forms part of wider efforts to improve accessibility to key infrastructure and strengthen road connectivity within the Ashanti Region.

Asantehene’s support acknowledged

Mr Agbodza expressed appreciation to Otumfuo Osei Tutu II for his continued counsel on infrastructure development in the Ashanti Region.

He said the traditional ruler’s advocacy for improved roads, particularly around the Kumasi area, had contributed to discussions on projects considered critical to the region.

The Minister also thanked the Ghana Armed Forces for supporting the clearing works on the Accra-Kumasi Expressway.

The latest update places the expressway project among the government’s major ongoing transport infrastructure priorities, with attention now focused on completing the remaining clearing works and progressing the route towards its connection with the Kumasi Orbiter.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here