Under the Operation Recover All Loot (ORAL) initiative, the Attorney-General and Minister for Justice, Dr. Dominic Ayine, is set to update the media today, Monday, March 24, on the progress of investigations and actions taken.
This was announced by Minister of Government Communications, Felix Kwakye Ofosu, in a social media post.
The upcoming briefing follows the submission of the ORAL Committee’s report to President John Mahama in February. The report highlighted several complaints related to suspected corruption.
Background
Operation Recover All Loot was first introduced on September 4, 2024, during protests organized by NDC-affiliated groups at the Ministry of Finance. The protest was attended by civil society groups, students, and private citizens.
The protests highlighted concerns over alleged financial mismanagement under the outgoing Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo administration.
The Operation Recover All Loot initiative aims to rebuild public trust in state institutions and address systemic financial impropriety across the public sector.
On Friday, December 20, Felix Kwakye Ofosu, spokesperson for Mahama’s Transition Team, announced the initiative in an official circular.
The Operation Recover All Loot team designed platforms to facilitate public reporting of suspected acts of corruption. The transition team guaranteed confidentiality to bolster public confidence in the initiative.
According to Samuel Okudjeto Ablakwa, the team received 1,493 calls through the toll-free line and 924 emails. He said all of the calls were recorded automatically, and all the emails were also preserved for verification and validation.
Highlighting some of ORAL’s achievements, he said the team’s intervention in preventing the demolition of 50 government bungalows, which were at risk of being taken over by private developers. The team, upon receiving distress calls from affected public servants, swiftly alerted the National Security Committee, leading to prompt action that safeguarded the properties. These bungalows, belonging to key government institutions such as the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Ministry of Gender and Social Protection, might have been lost if not for ORAL’s intervention.
With 36 cases currently under review, ORAL estimated that if recoveries are successful, Ghana could retrieve as much as $20.49 billion. Some major cases under scrutiny include:
- National Cathedral Project
- PDS Scandal
- SML Contract Irregularities
- GMPC Salt Pond Decommissioning
Hon. Samuel Okudjeto Ablakwa reiterated that ORAL’s work is far from over and that the fight against corruption and asset mismanagement must continue beyond their current mandate.
Dr. Ayine was instructed to initiate investigations and for the first time since the instruction is set to address the public on the investigations so far.
